Sunday 10 February 2008

On Grabbing One's Toothbrush

One of the most vivid early-in-a-relationship conversations I remember having was one where someone told me that they wanted to be the kind of spontaneous person whose friends could pull up in a car, say 'we're going on a roadtrip,' and he'd hop in and ask to pick up a toothbrush along the way. I remembered this after Friday in the tearoom, where Abby and I were having lunch, decided that we needed a vacation, and impulsively booked flights and hotels for two and a half days in Marrakesh in the middle of the term. Normally, I don't fly to North Africa for two and a half days, but we got a couples' deal with flights and hotel for less than $300 and it's my present to myself for my performance in Michaelmas Term. (And Abby is one of my favorite people here, as evidenced by the fact that our mutually agreed-upon objectives for our vacation are to 1) ride a camel, 2) sit outside a cafe and drink mint tea all afternoon, and 3) hum "Rock the Casbah" for two and a half days.) Yay!

No comments: