Monday 7 April 2008

On Urban Living

I've fallen in love with David's apartment, which is about twenty times warmer and more inviting than the Graduate Centre, which still feels like a Travelodge even after I've lived there for six months. (They've got art on the walls, they eat communally, there's antique furniture and people drink out of jelly jars and watch Tyra Banks together. Back in the Graduate Centre, we occasionally have fajitas together, but only when the one person on our floor who cooks takes pity on the rest of us and fears that we're going to starve.) It makes me want to find a flat for next year, except that that means that I'd have to pay rent during the six months of the year that I'm intermittently not there, and then I couldn't afford furniture and that defeats the purpose. I wouldn't be gardening because it's cute, I'd be gardening for sustenance. And knowing my survival skills, I'm pretty sure I'd die. Someday, though!

No comments: