Thursday 8 October 2009

Foods I Can Make But Cannot Pronounce

So things like "adequate seating" and "skill" have never once stopped me from hosting dinner parties, and tonight was no exception. I managed to pull off a passable vegetarian gratin, which involved epic landmarks like:

- purchasing breadcrumbs,
- learning how to peel tomatoes,
- not fucking up an eggplant, and
- peeling a butternut squash without taking off a finger.

Victory! It was a little bland, but you can't really screw up something with roasted squash and feta, and nobody has thrown up yet that I'm aware of. I'm actually starting to get a fairly impressive repertoire of variations on vegetarian stir-fry. When Erika and I finally publish our cookbook, there's now a fighting chance that it will be more than a page long. If I may be so bold, I think we're getting into pamphlet territory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered buying the Larousse Gastronomique. You can search for a recipie by ingrediants. SO if you happen to have 32 pounds of zuccini you look up Z and hey presto some recipie ideas. However, the recipies are a) french and thus contain butter, and b) are french and thus required Julia Child to simplify them.