Friday 19 November 2010

A Brief, But Long-Coming Rant

Is it a good sign if you can't explain a piece of queer theory that you're writing to someone over dinner? Is that a bad sign? I DON'T KNOW. I thought I knew exactly how I was wrapping up this journal piece that's due at the end of the month, but it turns out that when I try to explain these ideas out loud, and somebody is like, "give me an example," that is suddenly impossible. (I almost was like, "you don't need an example, just think in abstract and unverifiable terms." And then I hated myself deeply and so I resigned myself to rewriting it.)

I've been staring at a blinking cursor and three documents full of disjointed paragraphs that now have next to nothing to do with each other and do not make a coherent argument no matter what order I put them in. I also made a really good frittata. I'd call it a wash if the writing I have to finish by the end of the month wasn't very, very close to giving me a nervous breakdown.

No comments: