Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Post Traumatic Soup Disorder

I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen, but I opened my microwave halfway through nuking a bowl of soup and lifted the plate off to stir it around and it blew up all over me. Like, not when the microwave was on, not when I opened the door, but five seconds later, pretty much immediately when I lifted the plate off the top. I stood there for a second with my glasses, face, and upper torso spattered with vegetable soup, and then I turned to open the door and Abby was just coming in to borrow a knife and was like, Jesus, what happened to you? and I almost tackled her to the ground to safety but took a deep breath and went to wash my face. When I got back to the kitchen, I started microwaving it again but was too scared to keep it going and had lukewarm soup and toast for lunch instead. It wouldn't have been so bad, except a bean basically burned itself through my shirt and now I'm going to have a bean shaped scar over my left nipple as a reminder of the danger of doing anything for yourself.

1 comment:

davers said...

Ryan, this can happen in the microwave pretty easily. The soup gets heated past the point of boiling but doesn't bubble because it lacks any nucleation sites for vapor bubbles to form and the surface tension of the liquid keeps vapor from escaping spontaneously. When you put your spoon in it or shake it by removing it, it overcomes both of these effects and you get the explosion (sort of like dropping Mentos in Diet Coke).

Try heating the soup with a microwave-safe spoon in there next time.