Monday 25 January 2010

Ow, Eating Sand Hurts

Because I was gone for Emma's birthday on Saturday, we did a makeup birthday date tonight at Cafe Gitane in the Jane Hotel. (If you're ever looking to dodge a birthday fail, I highly recommend it - it's really quiet and kind of beautiful inside, and the food was tremendous.) I wasn't super hungry, so I ordered the couscous, which turned out to be made in kind of the same way that children make sandcastles with buckets - like, a giant mound of couscous with vegetables mortared inside, with like two cups of hummus lumped on top and a sprig of something jammed into it and a moat of pesto and oil around it. It wasn't until the last quarter of it collapsed and filled my plate that I was like, oh, God, this is like four dinners worth of couscous, and right about then it expanded in my stomach and I was so full I could barely move.

Obviously, this did not stop me from splitting a piece of Monkey Cake with Emma at Amy's Bread. She hadn't had cake for her birthday yet! I would have been a terrible friend for saying no.

No comments: