Friday 28 March 2008

¡Bad Choices!

I've had my heart set on this vegetarian restaurant that sounded like one of the awesomer parts of my neighborhood in Mexico City, and since I spent yesterday checking out the Palacio Nacional, the Catedral Metropolitana, and the Templo Mayor - where I lived vicariously through Gloria Anzaldua AND got one of the only free admissions I've ever gotten from my ISIC, ever, which still doesn't quite justify spending twenty dollars on it - this was the morning it was going to happen. At least, it was, until I spent the night vomiting in my bathroom. (I take no blame for this, because my dinner yesterday was a cup of mango and a piece of sweet bread from a bakery, and not anything racy or novel.) I woke up tangled in my sheets in a cold sweat with a wastebasket next to me, which didn't really bode well for my presentation this afternoon.

After a shower, I was starting to feel a little bit better, and as I walked to the bakery where I may or may not have gotten malaria from a piece of sweet bread, I was like, um, maybe my stomach doesn't want this. So instead, I went looking for an internet cafe, and accidentally ended up on the street with the vegetarian place. I figured it was probably good to put something in my stomach, and I wasn't going to get any dodgy meats at a vegetarian place, so I hiked upstairs. And being the responsible person I am, I drank black coffee and ordered oatmeal, but then the waiter told me that the oatmeal was kind of small and that I'd be better off with something else, so I got huevos rancheros. And it came with a muffin. And I ate three tortillas full of huevos rancheros. So far, I'm fine, which is good because I present a paper this afternoon. That said, there's a decent chance that I'll spend the night vomiting over my balcony.

No comments: