Saturday 15 March 2008

Jerusalem, Days 4 and 5

So after we got to Jerusalem, this is us walking through the Cardo, which had just closed for Shabbat.
I checked out the place where the crucifix was lodged in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. It made all of the Catholicism come rushing back, especially the part where I had to duck and cover from a tide of Franciscans entering the tomb. It literally follows me everywhere.
And the Western Wall, where I wore a paper hat and prayed a little.
We got up at 2am to go to Massada, where we sat on top of the ruins and ate our boxed breakfast. Actually, I ate my boxed breakfast after accidentally thinking that everyone else was doing it, when it turned out that they were waiting until after we got off the mountain. Whatevs, I had some challah and watched the sun come up. And when we got back to the bus, the eggs and cheese were suspiciously warm, so I think I won that round.
And these are the salt flats along the Dead Sea, as seen from the top of Massada. I dunno, they're vast.
We swam in the Dead Sea (and by "swam," I mean "floated," "got salt water where we shaved and screamed a little," and "watched a nun get chewed out by a lifeguard for submerging her head in the Dead Sea twice.")
And with our afternoon off, we went to the Via Dolorosa and walked the stations of the cross. It was pretty, but it turns out that I turn into kind of a bitch when trying to maneuver between market stalls, tractors, and tiny children trying to wipe popsicle on my pants. The moral of the story is that we read the Bible and that was kind of nice, and I also think I need a nap.
So instead, I took graffiti pictures. It's multicultural vandalism, and that is one of my favorite things.

1 comment:

KC said...

the harvard gays miss you. come see us, soon!