Thursday 13 March 2008

Tel Aviv on Day 2, Jerusalem on Day 3

We had lunch at a dump-cum-recycling center outside Tel Aviv. It smelled delicious, as we had just been atop a mountain of garbage.

Um, so that's a security fence. I learned that it is not a wall, it is a fence, and also learned the useful phrase "man-bombs," which it has apparently reduced by 95%. I'm learning that Israel is a complicated place.

The Sea of Galilee (where I went jogging this morning!) taken from the Mount of Beatitudes (where I rocked the Catholic social teachings this morning!), right after leaving the kibbutz where we spent the night.

A snapshot from the Golan Heights, where we hung out by a minefield and talked about warfare. Good times, everyone.

I woke up in time to see the Bedouin settlements as we rolled into Jerusalem.

I dunno, it seemed pretty until it rained. Given Israel's water shortages, I guess that was pretty too.

I took this from Hebrew University, but we're actually going into the Old City tomorrow. And by "tomorrow," I mean about six hours from now. I'm incredibly sleep-deprived, and pubbling with Israeli students was probably unwise in retrospect.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Glad you're having a good time. Is this an Israeli government-funded or subsidized trip seeking to make a case to the opinion leaders of tomorrow? That would be a very good investment for the country, especially in view of the rather pervasive anti-Israel attitude among most British, European and (to a slightly lesser extent) American academics.