Tuesday 20 May 2008

Insomnia

Although my hair hasn't started falling out yet (give it about a week), I've been sleeping terribly over the past two weeks because I'm stressed out about exams - I go to sleep around 1 or 2am, but then I wake up around 7 or 8am at the tiniest ray of sunlight or traffic noise and when I blink and think of all the work I have to do to be ready for exams, I can't fall back asleep. I tried resetting my sleep cycle with a sleeping pill and that didn't seem to work (and I'm not trying it again, because developing a prescription drug addiction is not a forward-thinking solution), and I've basically been forcing myself to stay in bed and nap until I've approximated a full night's sleep. Still, sleeping in forty-minute intervals sucks.

And to make matters worse, I saw my supervisor today and he expressed concern that I looked so well-rested and put-together. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not - and I'd normally just take that as a compliment, but a) he seemed to think I'd been spending my time tanning and watching lesbian sitcoms instead of studying, which I emphatically have not been doing since I finished the latest season of the L Word last week, and b) this means I must look terrible most of the year. Tonight, I was telling this story to a friend of mine who was like, "you do look very sun-kissed" and I was like, "thanks, you sadistic jerk."

I really need sleep.

2 comments:

Angelo said...

I know what you mean about stressing for finals. I've got one tomorrow. Stupid core class. What house were you in at Harvard?

Ryan said...

Ouch - how did it go? I was in Lowell, which is obviously the best house at Harvard. Obviously.