Saturday 18 October 2008

Jenny Lewis!




It was probably a mistake to skip Ulf Hannerz's departmental seminar on anthropology and globalization (as I'm currently struggling to write a thesis on that, and failing), but I finished meeting with my supervisor yesterday and booked it to see Jenny Lewis in London because going to more shows is on the list of Things to Do Before They Make Me Get a Real Job.

The concert wasn't outstanding, but it was definitely worth the trip. I was trying to explain this to someone this morning - the band didn't seem that enthusiastic about the show, and left out any anecdotes or witty banter that usually make things like this fun, but the performance itself was really solid. She did end with See Fernando - which is maybe my favorite song from Acid Tongue - and her drummer is absolutely nuts and looks like a teenage version of a lunchlady and has the most expressive face I've ever seen, to the point where I was worried that she would either burst into tears or suddenly, violently, kill the bassist with her drumsticks. Or both. It was like watching somebody go through all the faces on those medical charts that rank pain on a scale of 1-10. So she was great, and since it's impossible to be mad at Jenny Lewis, I deemed it a success.

Anyway, I rocked back, brought scones and jam over to Julie and Zak's and saw their new place this morning, went grocery shopping for the queer brunch tomorrow, and then took a much-needed two-hour nap before the first Queer Studies Circle and the matriculation ball later tonight. I was just about to head out to the gym when someone asked if I could send out an agenda for a meeting tomorrow, and after doing that, I don't have enough time for a full workout before QSC. After Love Bar, the presidential debate, staying up to finish a 200-source bibliography for my thesis, and the concert in London yesterday, it's probably better that I took a breather, but I do hate nap/gym tradeoff days.

No comments: