Saturday 21 March 2009

Greece

I'm leaving for Greece in t minus 24 hours, and it looks like we've finally got the buses, hotels, and ferries finalized for three days in Athens and four days mucking around in Crete. If anyone has recommendations for things to actually do, those would be especially appreciated. (So far, we're like, "meh, we should probably go to the Acropolis," so there's plenty of space on the agenda.)

Like the anthropologist I pretend to be, I've pregamed the trip by reading Michael Herzfeld's Cultural Intimacy: Social Poetics in the Nation-State. I'm not sure that it'll be helpful since I don't think I'm going to engage in a lot of Cretan sheep theft while I'm there, but it's the only ethnography about Greece on my list of readings to prep for exams when I return. Ugh, being a vegetarian takes all the fun out of travel.

No comments: