Saturday 13 September 2008

An Update Which is Sad Because I Uncharacteristically Choose My Survival Over a Bad (But Fun!) Decision

I was honestly planning to go out to the party yesterday. I even packed deodorant, a toothbrush, and a change of clothes in case I spent the night, trudged all the way to the LRT and rode two packed trains to Katipunan, and sat at a cafe to meet the guy who was picking me up. But then he was like, 'if you're sick, let's do this another time,' and I was like, 'I'll be fine, I just might need to call it a night a little bit early,' and he was like, 'no, you're looking pretty bleak.' And this was true, because I realized at some point during the train rides that I not only ached all over, but I thought I might throw up, too.

So instead, I doubled back, made a supermarket run to buy fruit and milk that was nothing short of Herculean during the dinnertime rush (like, I not only almost passed out in the produce aisle, but I also almost punched a total stranger in the throat when I shuffled into the line and she jumped in front of me, body-checking me and then going "OOOPS!" and giggling like it was so funny that she'd just budged in front of me at the last second, and weren't we both sharing a great laugh about it! and I was like, HA HA try laughing without a windpipe, you bastard.)

And I made it back by 6:30, had a glass of wine at the guesthouse's weekly party, and promptly fell asleep from 7:30 to 9:30. And then I woke up, checked my email, and fell asleep again (fully clothed) at 10, and only just woke up at 9 feeling rested for the first time in the past couple days. (Turns out thirteen hours of sleep will do that for a person.) I'm still congested (and sneezed so forcefully this morning that it somehow covered the entire surface area of my wad of Kleenex and made me worry that part of it was actually brain tissue) and sniffly, but the aches are gone, and I don't feel nauseous anymore. I'm not going to push it by going out to see the party people tonight, but I'm hoping that I'll at least recover enough to reschedule and earn back a little bit of lost karma.

No comments: