Thursday 15 January 2009

The Best Global Project Since the UNDHR

CBC Radio in Canada is putting together a mixtape of 49 songs from north of the 49th parallel for Barack Obama, and you can vote on the songs that they should include. This is tremendous. I should probably be making dinner, but realistically I'll probably spend the next twenty minutes agonizing over what to pick.* (The choices are so good! Why are all of my favorite musicians Canadian!?)

Then I will freak out and go back to transcribing interviews and stalking legislators on the internets, which is how I spent the first eight hours of the day parked at my desk. But at least Barack Obama will have the greatest gift a country can give, and that is a mixtape with a sufficient amount of folksy angst and pathos.

*Seriously, how do you decide between Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now," the Weakerthans' "One Great City!," k.d. lang's version of "Hallelujah" (which is my favorite version, although I know that's heresy), and "Feel It All" by Feist? I think I'm going to go with k.d. lang in the hopes that he'll share the mix tape with Rick Warren. Anyway, you can vote once in each of the four sections, but that's the only section I remotely care about.

No comments: