Monday 15 February 2010

V-Day

David and I both had semi-grandiose plans for Valentine's Day (bake a cookie cake from scratch! go to the Newseum and then for a romantic dinner!) that were then dashed by the fact that my bus was cancelled and we ended up with approximately 36 hours together in DC. We did buy all of the ingredients for cookie cake, but ended up not having time to bake it on Saturday. And then today, we ended up hanging out at the Newseum for two and a half hours and having approximately thirty minutes to get salads before putting me on a bus.

It was like New Year's, though - everything about the weekend illustrated that the best laid plans can't hold a candle to the quirky, spur of the moment things that turn romantic by virtue of doing them together. (I initially wrote "can't hold a cankle," which is also true.) We did reading for school together over vegan cinnamon buns at Sticky Fingers, grocery shopped and made tofu and grilled vegetables over quinoa with sweet potato fries, went to a Valentine's Day/Mardi Gras/Chinese New Year party with a bunch of David's friends out in Tenleytown, had french toast and hot chocolate in bed, and then went halvsies on two salads before I scooted back to New York for the week.

And I don't know if this was because I forgot how garbage can salads used to be a staple of my diet or whether the salad at Chop't was just that good, but I totally stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and bought tofu, blue cheese, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, and eggs in preparation for some DIY salad-making this week. (It cannot turn out weirder than my chili, which tastes excellent but is a sickly shade of purple. Like, slightly lighter than Grimace.) Whatever, it will be healthier than the phase where I discovered bagels.

No comments: