Monday 2 June 2008

Standing in the Way of Control

I was chatting up the cashier at Sainsbury's yesterday and she asked if I had exams coming up, and I told her that this is the big week and she was like, "ooh, and you're out grocery shopping!" I felt like I should explain, so I said, "the way I see it, the only way I'll avoid a meltdown is having every other aspect of my life under control, so I've spent my morning going to the gym, buying overpriced pens, answering two months of neglected correspondence, withdrawing all the cash I'll need for the week, doing all of my laundry, and stocking up on any groceries I could possibly need." And then she looked at me like I was insane and I smiled and took my vegetables and went home.

But I did all of those things, and my fragile truce with the Fates seems to be holding up. Our last MCR meeting was last night, and I survived the hustings, including an unexpected point-blank challenge in the question-and-answer portion that involved humming the theme to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. (On Thursday, I'll finish my exams and find out if I lost to nobody, which is entirely possible.) After the meeting, I received the final proofs for my first scholarly publication with a request to return them ASAP and handily got that out of the way, slept, and then woke up and had a peach and raspberry muffin and finished all of the puzzles in the Observer. I feel very capable and clever at the moment, which is why I refuse to try anything new until Thursday. Until then, I will be writing about anthropology.

And! the joke went off without a hitch:

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
...What, you don't know?

No comments: