Thursday 28 February 2008

Sometimes, I Set Unreasonable Goals for Myself

After accidentally telling my supervisor that I was jetting off to Morocco on Sunday just shy of the beginning of our vacation, I've tried not to bring it up again. Sometimes, this involves a little bit of strategic vagueness, like when he asked if I could stop by his office on Wednesday and I told him that Wednesday wasn't so great, but Friday would work. I strategically didn't say "Wednesday isn't so great, because I'll still be drinking mint tea. IN NORTH AFRICA!" (I know it doesn't seem like much, but that really is about the maximum amount of tact I possess.)

But this also meant that when we decided to change our tutorial topic for 8th Week, I just casually asked if I could get the reading list to get started on the reading without really saying why. And maybe because I never gave a particularly good reason, we got the list this morning. Of course, it's the longest we've ever gotten - with a whopping fourteen articles or chapters and SEVEN ENTIRE BOOKS - that I'm supposed to have read in the next twenty-four hours so that I can spend Saturday writing an essay, proofreading it, and sending it before I jet off at dawn on Sunday. I savagely gutted my social calendar, but I've still got a charity auction and a drink with a friend from out of town that I can't miss. And I can usually skip a reading or two and nobody dies, but I could skip half of them and it would still be insane. So basically, this is going to be the ultimate test of my ability to recover from very poorly executed decisions.

(I say that now, but we all know I'll make worse decisions in the next couple weeks or so, so let's not kid ourselves. I'm not going to stress about this too much.)

No comments: