Sunday 24 February 2008

Toxic Chatter

So yesterday night was the Toxic Chatter party, celebrating the one year anniversary of a gossip podcast on iTunes co-hosted by a couple of friends of mine. It was extra-fun because it was also another friend's birthday, also at BabyLove, so it coincidentally happened that all of my favorite people from my fellowship program and all of my favorite people from my college were there mingling. (Everyone actually mixed like oil and water, but they were good sports when I awkwardly bounced from conversation to conversation.)

Anyway, the theme of the party was to dress as your favorite celebrity (natch), and as an avid reader of the Superficial, TMZ, Perez Hilton, and Pink is the New Blog, I started to panic when I realized that I couldn't think of anybody to go as. (I thought about Matthew McConaughey, but I had already shaved and I didn't have time to devolve.) Instead, I just sewed price tags onto all of my clothes and stuffed costume jewelry into my pockets and went as Winona Ryder.



It certainly wasn't the best costume (who can compete with Mariah, who?), but someone thought highly enough of it that I won a copy of Andrew Morton's The Beckhams, which is totally going to be my celebratory end-of-term reading on the flight to Israel. (Julie Burchill describes it on the cover as "a truly delightful and calorie-free indulgence." Watch yourself, VanGennep.) Anyway, I took a picture when I got home to digitally immortalize the evening. I think I was going for feigned innocence.

No comments: