Saturday 23 February 2008

Why I'm in a Shitty Mood

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who yell homophobic slurs when I'm trying to carry on a conversation with someone else. Like, someone will yell something at me on the street every once and awhile, and even though that clearly sucks, I'm able to roll my eyes and keep walking and forget about it pretty quickly afterwards. What seriously pisses me off is when I'm with someone and having a conversation, and then somebody else shouts something stupid and it's awkward to keep idly chatting and pretend like you don't hear somebody calling you a faggot, but it's also really uncomfortable to have to crack a joke about it or otherwise perform unfazedness on the spot. It's awkward for all involved.

I'm pretty good about rolling with the punches in this regard, but I don't think it's too much to ask for people to not interrupt when they're being verbally abusive in public spaces. (They might also think about not getting piss drunk before 5pm, but that's more of a suggestion that they can take or leave.)

1 comment:

TheDreamer said...

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's never nice. And you can't help but brood about it for a while. I always want to shout something personal and deeply cutting back, but that tends not to help either...