Monday 28 January 2008

Subject and Object of the Gays

I was trying to think of a way to go as the subject and object of the gaze, so I went as Narcissus to the Orientalism party. If I ever decide to replicate the costume, I'll probably bring a mirror instead of just wearing a see-through shirt, tight pants, and an ivy laurel and hoping beyond hope that people just intuitively get it. (Like, really, I could have just been going as a gay man cruising in Central Park circa 1985. In retrospect, that also would have fit my subject/object criteria, and I could have used a species of leaves that don't require scaling the side of a bridge and hacking away with a scissors. Meh, hindsight is 20/20.)

2 comments:

Rob said...

Narcissus, subject and object of the gays--very clever. Your Harvard and Oxford education has served you well. But was the theme of the party Orientalism or Autobiography?

Ryan said...

I was going for both - you know, deconstructing binaries, in keeping with the spirit of the party. It's how I roll.