Saturday 5 January 2008

Volver!

I went into my old high school to judge at our annual debate tournament today, and as I walked in past the chapel and heard the familiar ding of our strikingly unalarming bell and saw all the teachers herding tiny uniformed sixth-graders around the lobby, I thought, "gosh, I wonder why I don't come and visit my old haunts more often."

And then my first round was in a room with a poster explaining why Opus Dei is not that bad and a newspaper clipping of an art teacher fervently protesting outside the Red River Women's Clinic and the library's internet filters decided that GMail is wildly inappropriate for young eyes, and I was like, oh, right, that's the reason. But I did get to bring a cup of coffee and a cell phone into the building, and I didn't even have to smuggle them past the surveillance cameras in a large box marked "YEARBOOKS" like I did in the olden days. See? Some things do change.

No comments: