Wednesday 16 January 2008

Radicalism, Juniper Berries, Productivity, and Me

Despite the fact that it was pouring rain and I got drenched and only had time to eat a stack of rice cakes and a raw carrot for dinner after the Sheila Rowbotham lecture, LGBTSoc drinks were a ton of fun. Milos kept exclaiming things about "the pie" and I'm 99% sure that I'm the only person in the room who understood the reference (and I can't believe I did), and I learned (again) that vodka is made from potatoes. (I think I've actually learned this about a half-dozen times, but I'm reliably surprised every time someone tells me.) I got to bartend, too, which was nice after the room got so packed that the only place with breathing room was behind the bar. (Also, I apologize to everyone who got gin and lemonades instead of gin and tonic, but you should all write angry letters to Schweppes because they could really do a better job of making the bottles distinct. I'm just saying.) I didn't get to go clubbing, because after responsibly stowing all of the booze, I got to the club when they were already at capacity and I wasn't in the mood to wait on a damp street until it emptied out. Instead, I went home and climbed into bed, where I fell asleep and woke up bright and early to tackle my list of assignments. Because this is so rare, I should point out that I'm solidly on top of things so far this term. Today, I turned in my essay at 10am - a whole seven hours before it's actually due - and now I'm finishing an article that I've been slowly finishing for, oh, about a year now. I might actually get it done by tonight to send off for final edits by all sorts of activists and former professors and other people who actually know more about South Africa than I do. Then, to celebrate, I'm going to take another one of those tranquilizers. Academia is fun!

No comments: