Wednesday 20 August 2008

Plan B!

Between Hurricane Karen and the red-alert security in Manila this week, I keep thinking of that nifty post office oath about the rain and sleet and snow and bears. The difference is that postal workers are delivering mail, while it is increasingly unclear what I'm doing in Manila aside from running all over the place, getting wet, and being searched by police on the LRT. The activists I've hung out with have been fun and educational, it's just that the work I got a grant to do has been slow going - like, glacially, to the point that it's basically stopped.

I've got a burst of interviews tomorrow and Friday, and then I'm going to the Visayas and Mindanao until the end of August. And when I return, I'm tweaking my research plan and basically just barnstorming neighborhoods, clipboard in hand. It'll either be really intrepid or comically unsuccessful, but it's probably going to have to happen.

No comments: