Wednesday 25 February 2009

Jerusalem, Mecca, Lourdes, and Oslo

I don't really think of myself as having a strong ethnic identity (I'm basically really Aryan, and I guess I should probably be glad that that's never been a particularly compelling part of my life), but I'm like half-Norwegian and I did vow that I'd visit Norway at some point while I was in the UK. I'm already going to Greece with Tess and David and then possibly going to the US for a weekend in April, and then I have about 500 major assignments in Trinity Term that make it pretty much impossible to do Turkey, Spain and Portugal, and the Hungary/Austria/Czech Republic triple-header that I wanted to do before going back to the US.

But then it turned out that a couple of friends of mine are going to Oslo in May, and I was like, hmm, something primordial in me wants to go and kayak in a fjord and eat lefse somewhere outside of my grandparents' kitchen and revel in social democracy, and so I booked a ticket pretty much immediately and now I am going to Norway to become a viking, the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm excited to find out you're Norwegian lol I am, too, and completely jealous you're going to Oslo! It's one of my goals to visit Norway.